Monday, August 20, 2007

Any Questions?

To sit fully upright and totally still in the full lotus posture, easily and joyfully -- in other words, without stiffening the neck, without pulling the head back and down into the body, without narrowing the back, and without fixing all the joints: this is the challenge, the ongoing adventure. This is what interests me. This is what continues to interest me.

To tell the truth, I am not very good at it.

Even though I am not very good at it, having devoted myself to it four times a day since I first shaved my head 22 summers ago, I feel that this practice/experience is totally my possession. That is why I wrote that Master Dogen’s Shobogenzo totally belongs to me. I wasn’t talking about the translation; I was talking about the Treasury itself.

At the end of his Rules of Sitting-Zen for Everybody, Master Dogen promises:

HOZO ONOZUKARA HIRAKE TE JUYO NYO-I NARAN.

“The Treasury will open, spontaneously, for you to accept and use as you please.”

Master Dogen’s promise is universal. He wrote those rules not just for me to make Shobogenzo my own possession, but for everybody to do just that.

Are there any questions?

1 Comments:

Blogger Pete said...

Hi Mike,
“If you practice the ineffable for a long time, you will be ineffable”.
How is it posssible to practce without endgaining when Master Dogen seems to be saying there will be a reward for our efforts. Does he mean that if we practice the balanced state we will become balanced? I have just written that sentence but I don’t know what it means.
Pete

Monday, August 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home