Sunday, January 15, 2006

Stillness without Fixity

I set aside some hours every day--the more hours the better--to sit upright in the lotus posture. It is not like other time in the day, when I am unconsciously doing this, that, and the other. It is a time devoted to conscious allowing, as opposed to unconscious doing.

How do these special hours influence the other hours of the day? The answer depends on how successful I am in realizing my intention not to do, but to allow. Being an intellectual worrier by nature, more often than not I am unsuccessful. When I am successful, what carries over into everyday activities is a sense of stillness without fixity.

4 Comments:

Blogger MikeDoe said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sunday, January 15, 2006  
Blogger MikeDoe said...

When in this state, Re-read Dogen. See if you read it differently.

Sunday, January 15, 2006  
Blogger MikeDoe said...

Who allows?

Monday, January 16, 2006  
Blogger MikeDoe said...

What is this Ineffable that arises?
From where does it arise?

Monday, January 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home